Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pantry Pickins Dinner - Kimchi Fried Rice


I really hate wasting food. I have had a lot of success in minimizing food waste by being flexible with certain recipes that I can throw together whatever I've got left in my fridge at the end of the grocery week. A stir-fry of any kind is a good way to remedy this, and I've found this kimchi fried rice is a particular forgiving combination of flavors. You can literally throw in whatever vegetables you've got left and it will probably taste great (as long as you like some spice!).

Kimchi Fried Rice
1/2 cup jarred kimchi (I use Sunja's Radish Kimchi)
1.5 cups brown rice - cooked and cooled
1.5 oz extra firm tofu (This is 1/2 a standard container) - feel free to skip this part or substitute any other kind of protein
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
2 tablespoons sriracha
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce (optional)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup onion diced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
whatever vegetables you've got! I used 1 red bell pepper and 1 small head of broccoli in the photo above. I've used green peppers and cauliflower, kale and spinach, zucchini and yellow squash. I literally mean whatever you want!

Heat coconut oil in the pan until melted and add onions. Saute until translucent before adding ginger and garlic. Add protein (tofu or meat) and  all liquid ingredients (sriracha, fish sauce, soy sauce, toasted sesame seed oil) saute stir for 5 minutes. Add all remaining vegetables and cover until vegetables are slightly tender. Add the rice and stir all together. Cook until vegetables are the desired texture and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment